I spent the first weekend of September at the Old Kent Estate and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
Coorg is one of those spots on earth that cannot be improved upon by imagination. I have been looking for a nice place to stay in when I visit Coorg and was hoping this might be it. It might, with a few touch ups.
Here’s the good:
- The location is amazing
- There are lovely walking trails around the resort. They have a plantation walk as well but we could not make that one. We just walked around on our own and loved it! Do remember to pack good sturdy walking shoes with a thick sole. I wore out my sandals roaming around. It was worth it no doubt but just saying. It gave me a huge thrill to see how the birds and insects in such an isolated spot react to human presence. The silences and sudden chatter told their own story. To these jungle dwellers, we were the interlopers and they announced it. I did not mind one bit!
- The movie room is a brilliant idea. They have an amazing collection too. We could leave our kids there for a while and get some time to ourselves. While travelling with children that’s a blessing.
- They have quite a few games and books in the library/clubhouse. The games are enough to keep the kids occupied. The books were a bit of a mixed bunch.
- The rooms are very pretty. They are not “vintage” like the main bungalow but though all shiny new, they are charmingly done up. I especially loved the wall covering window.
- The food was simple, homely but umm a little expensive?
The bad? Not that much. I’m really only nitpicking here
- Having an RO filter in the dining area would help reduce the dependence on bottled water. I saw this in the Wild Woods Spa and Resort, Udupi. I think this is really a MUST have in any resort that people would visit to enjoy natural beauty. Bottled water should have no place here! I liked that the tea bags in the room did not come packaged but a little attention to these things goes a long way in preserving the natural beauty of the place. However, we asked for unbottled water and got it. In fact during the second day of our stay, they anticipated us and had the jugs ready at the table before we walked in. Two thumbs up for that!
- There should probably have been a shower enclosure in the bathroom. The floor gets wet. It is a lovely bathroom and the tub is sooo elegant but this would have been nice.
- A few south indian items on the menu would be nice considering this resort is in South India.
That’s it! Quibbles over. The staff were friendly and co-operative and I had fun.
(I put up a modified version of this review on tripadvisor)